Sunday 2 March 2014

2003 Dofi, superb Priorat at a very good price, if you can buy it

According to a few sources, winemaker Alvaro Palacios is an established wine legend, making unusual wines in Catalunya, Spain, home of the the under-rated priorat grape.

This guide to his work is full of praise.

Having only tried one of his wines I find it hard to comment.

The one I did try though, pictured, at 10 Greek St restaurant London (ask them for the secret wine book), was an absolute cracker.

No less than Parker himself gives it 92-94 and he says it is:

“Super-expressive, rich, and full-bodied,
with wonderfully integrated acidity, tannin, and
wood...."

It was a couple of months ago when I was lucky enough to try it and that chimes with my memory. I recall fantastic structure which I hadn't expected, and superb full bodied balance and depth. The tannins reminded me of the Gironde.

It's hard to find and not cheap. We paid about £40-45 in the restaurant, and that looks like the retail price too from what I can tell on wine-searcher.com.

If the 2003 isn't available, the other vintage reviews seem to indicate that Alvaro Palacios is one to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment