Wednesday 2 April 2014

CNP Du Pegau 2005 - simply stunning

This Pegau 2005 is without a doubt the greatest CNP I've ever had.

That may not be saying much given my limited experience but I've had a few beaucastel wines of various vintages.

None have matched this wine so far.

I had it in my current favourite London restaurant, 10 Greek St, over lamb, which it suited perfectly. 

It was a few weeks ago and I neglected to write any tasting notes. I was too busy enjoying the Pegau.

Many rate 2005 as a 19/20 wine year. There are not many of them. 1945, 1961, 1982, 1990. Perhaps 2000 but I disagree with including that year. The Bordeaux wines of 2000 taste well, a bit green, a bit thin for me.

This 2005 Pegau is a rare beast these days. Demand must be high and stocks low. Experts at London's Hedonism wines (a must see) say they can't get hold of any. 

It had everything you want in a great CNP: A slight mustiness, open, full but subtle fruit, plenty of complexity and an intensity that filled the mouth and lasted much longer than you'd expect. 

It was around £50. At restuarant rates that's an absolute steal. 

It's around £30 at retail. Here's some background on the chateau.



No comments:

Post a Comment