Friday 2 November 2012

Pichon-Longueville 2001: Superb 'affordable' second growth

A king among wines
I was lucky enough to visit this Chateau just over a year ago for a tasting. We tried the 1996, the 1998 and the 2000.

All were incredible. As you'd expect.

Pichon Baron, as it is sometimes known, (not Comtesse, just across the road) is one of my favourite wines.

It's owned by French company AXA. Whatever you think about corporate ownership of top wine producers, you have to admit they have done an amazing job.

The Chateau itself, completely re-done in recent years is stunning. One of the best looking I've seen. It has an almost magical look to it. Here's a pic.

It's not cheap drinking of course, as a second growth.

The 2001, pictured left, is somewhere between £50 and £70 a bottle, according to Wine-searcher.

Of all, the 1998 has been my favourite so far. But this 2001, which I had recently in Shanghai, of all places, is a superb example.

It's still far too young, but still a big smooth elegant, powerful Pauillac. I've run out of words now. Just drink some when you can. It's just a true masterpiece at the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment